Skip to main content

Burn Information

Burn permits are now required for all burning. Please review the below information and complete the burn permit prior to starting any burning.

Outdoor burning is only permitted from end of fire season, generally October 1st, through December 15th and March 1st through June 15th, or the start of fire season, whichever happens first. In addition, during these ‘burn days’, the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) issues the start and stop times that these burns can take place. Some days, burning cannot take place at all due to barometric inversions, high winds, low humidity, etc. The burn times are updated each day during burn season and can be checked from the Daily Burn Announcement link below or through our burn advisory line at 541-929-5903. Call the Burn Line after 8:30 AM for the times burning is allowed for that day.

In all burning situations:

  • The property owner is responsible for any fire, smoke or odors created from open burning and for any damage that results from that fire.
  • A responsible person must constantly attend any open burning. This person must be capable of and have the equipment to extinguish the fire.
  • The fire must be completely extinguished before leaving it.
  • The fire cannot create a nuisance or a hazard to public safety.

These materials can never be open burned:

  • Garbage
  • Plastic
  • Asbestos
  • Wire insulation
  • Automobile parts
  • Asphalt
  • Petroleum treated materials
  • Painted wood and wood treated with creosote or pentachlorophenol
  • Rubber products including tires
  • Animal remains
  • Animal or vegetable matter resulting from the handling, preparation, cooking or service of food
  • Any other material that emits dense smoke or noxious odors

Smoke complaints are handled by the Department of Environmental Quality.  Their hotline is 1-888-997-7888.  If you have a complaint about smoke, please call the DEQ hotline. 

If you have any questions about burning activities, please contact our Fire & Life Safety Officer, Rich Saalsaa, at 541-360-0029 during business hours.

Link - Daily Burn Announcement

Link - Oregon Open Burning Guide - a publication from the State of Oregon Department of Environmental Quality

Link - Burning Regulations in the Willamette Valley - a publication from the Oregon Department of Agriculture

Fire Danger Levels - The Oregon Department of Forestry has put together an interactive map of the fire danger levels in your area. Click here to access that information.