Click for Philomath, Oregon Forecast

Burn Guidelines

The backyard burn seasons are March 1st to June 15th and October 1st to December 15th. It is important to call the Fire Department's Burn Advisory number at 541.929.5903 after 8:30 AM on the day you want to burn to find out what time burning is allowed that day, if at all. The Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) regulates which days are open for burning and updates the advisory daily.

Materials that can be burned include clean, untreated woody debris such as small branches, and yard debris once the ban has been lifted. You may also wish to receive the Willamette Valley Open Burn Announcement daily advisory by email. Simply follow the directions on the website.

Oregon Open Burning Guide (a publication from the State of Oregon Department of Environmental Quality)

Burning Regulations in the Willamette Valley (a publication from the Oregon Department of Agriculture)

Recreational Fires

Recreational Burn Waiver

A recreational fire is a fire at your residence that is used for the purpose of cooking, warming or similar recreation. It is not backyard debris burning which is regulated by the DEQ.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need a permit for my recreational fire?
Yes — Just follow these guidelines. You don't even have to call and tell us you are having a recreational fire. A permit and site visit is required for large bonfires.

Can I build a permanent fire pit on my private property?
Yes — the dimensions should be no larger than 3 feet inside diameter. It should be made of rock, brick or similar non-combustible materials.

What am I allowed to burn in my recreational fire?
You can burn only dry firewood or use charcoal. Wood must be contained inside the fire container.

Are there times I can't have a recreational fire?
Recreational fires are not allowed during extreme dry weather or when windy conditions exist. You may still have a recreational fire even if it is a no burn day for backyard burning.

Can I have a large bonfire on my private property?
No — your fire needs to stay small enough that it can be controlled. It may not be larger than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height from the deepest area. If you require a larger bonfire for a special one-time event, please contact the Fire District office for a permit and to schedule an inspection of the site. Large bonfires must be placed at least 50 feet from any structure.

Can I have an open campfire on my private property?
Yes — as long as it is at least 25 feet away from any structure or other combustibles. You need to make sure the area around the fire is cleared of anything that could catch fire (dry grass, dry brush). Any conditions that could cause a fire to spread to a structure or field must be removed prior to ignition. The campfire has to be in a designated or self-made fire pit in a landscaped area — not in the woods.

Can I use an outdoor fireplace, fire pit or chimenea on my residential property?
Yes — it should be located at least 15 to 25 feet from a structure and needs to set on a non-combustible surface (dirt, sand, bricks, cement, etc.).

Can I use a chimenea or fire bowl on my wood deck?
The Fire District does not recommend doing so. Always follow the manufacturer fire safety instructions included with your unit.

Tips for Safe Burning

If the fire becomes a hazard to life or property, it shall be extinguished immediately. Drown the fire with water and make sure all embers, coals, and sticks are wet. Fire shall be constantly attended until fully extinguished.